Janna J. Annest
P: (206) 382-1000
Assistant: Linda Lading
Janna Annest is a litigator and an adoption attorney who appreciates the balance provided by her diverse practice areas. The challenges and novelties of litigation complement her intensely personal and rewarding adoption work. Janna also advises clients regarding estate planning, wills, and trusts. Away from the office, Janna enjoys volleyball, tolerates running, and loves spending time with her family most of all.
- University of Washington, J.D., with honors, 2003.
- Notes & Comments Editor, Washington Law Review, University of Washington School of Law, 2002
- Dartmouth College, B.A., cum laude and with high honors, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- Janna’s adoption practice includes all aspects of private intrastate and interstate adoptions, domestication of international adoptions, and finalization of state agency adoptions. Janna also completes step-parent, second-parent, and adult adoptions. She also represents birthparents and advises parties regarding assisted reproduction issues.
- Janna represents major international and domestic insurance companies in coverage disputes arising from a wide variety of claims, including pollution, construction defects, asbestos, securities fraud, health insurance, real estate sales, and personal injuries. She also represents homeowners, professionals, business owners and developers in complex coverage and bad faith litigation.
- BUSINESS DISPUTES/COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
- Negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of expelled member of architecture firm after obtaining summary judgment dismissal of counterclaims.
- Obtained $5.4 million judgment for aircraft manufacturer in contract dispute against component supplier.
- Defended members of family-owned LLC against claims for breach of contract by former member and negotiated favorable terms for removal of that member.
- Represented industrial fabric manufacturer in arbitration of trade secret claim.
- Obtained favorable terms of LLC dissolution on behalf of dentists seeking to withdraw from practice.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal of claims for negligent infliction of emotional distress against ski boat manufacturer.
- Defended aircraft manufacturer against wrongful death and product defect claims arising from crash.
- Defended aerial applicator in arbitration of claim for personal injuries allegedly resulting during crop dusting operation.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for airline catering company in personal injury lawsuit arising from injury on loading dock.
- Successfully defended home sellers against misrepresentation claim in arbitration and obtained award of attorneys’ fees.
- Negotiated favorable settlement of trespass claim on behalf of property owners after obtaining summary judgment dismissal of neighbors’ prescriptive easement counterclaim.
- Defended utility district against property damage claim arising from water main break and recovered indemnity payment from subcontractor conducting underground bore that caused break.
- King County Bar Association, Litigation and Family Law Sections
- Washington State Bar Association
- Dartmouth Lawyers Association
- Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association of Seattle (MAMAS)
- Adoptive Friends & Family of Greater Seattle, Board Member. 2010-Present
- Dartmouth Alumni Club of Western Washington, President, 2005-Present
- Dartmouth College Club Officers Executive Committee, 2008-Present; President, 2009-2010; Vice-President, 2008-2009
- Dartmouth College Alumni Council, Member, 2010-Present
- Studio East, Board Member, 2011-Present
- Adoption Law: Start to Finish, NBI, March, 2012 and September, 2010
- Adoption Panel Discussion, Northwest Now, KBTC Public Television, 2010. Click to watch
- “Mamma Mia! Everyone Jumps Through Adoption Hoops”, King County Bar Association Bar Bulletin, April 2009. PDF
- Contributor, Adoptive Families Magazine
- Building “Nontraditional” Families. March-April 2012
- Before the Adoption: Connecting with Expectant Mothers. October 2011
- Finally Final. August, 2011.
- Adoption Leave: Your Legal Rights. February 2011
- What is the adoption tax credit? Am I eligible? December 2010
- How do I find my U.S. adoption team? October 2010
- Is open adoption right for my family? April 2010
- How should parents budget for a domestic adoption? August 2010
- How does the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children affect domestic private adoptions? January/February 2010
- Only the News That’s Fit to Print: The Effect of Hazelwood on the First Amendment Viewpoint-Neutrality Requirement in Public School-Sponsored Forums, 2002, (77 Wash. L. Rev. 1227)
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2009-2012.
- Extern at Seattle School District Office of General Counsel, 2003.
- Varsity Women’s Volleyball Team Captain, Dartmouth College, 1999.
- In her free time, Janna enjoys exploring Seattle with her husband and children, biking, playing volleyball, digging in her garden, and trying to figure out how to incorporate more vegetables into her cooking.