Janna J. Annest
Janna enjoys the constructive aspect of her business law, estate planning, and adoption practices. She offers pragmatic advice to businesses of all sizes regarding their formation and organizational needs, provides comprehensive estate planning services to families, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, and health care directives, and guides all types of families through the adoption process from the dual perspective of an attorney and an adoptive parent. Janna has been selected to the Washington Rising Stars list of outstanding lawyers each year from 2009 to 2016. Outside the office, Janna spends most of her time exploring West Seattle with her husband, daughter and son.
Formation and organization of Washington LLC’s and corporations, including preparation of operating agreements, bylaws, and other organizing documents, and research and registration of trademarks, trade names, and copyrights.
Preparation and negotiation of commercial leases for commercial, agricultural, residential, restaurant, and distillery tenants.
Negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of expelled member of architecture firm after obtaining summary judgment dismissal of counterclaims.
Obtained $5.4 million judgment for aircraft manufacturer in contract dispute against component supplier.
Defended members of family-owned LLC against claims for breach of contract by former member and negotiated favorable terms for removal of that member.
Represented industrial fabric manufacturer in arbitration of trade secret claim.
Obtained favorable terms of LLC dissolution on behalf of dentists seeking to withdraw from practice.
Janna counsels individuals and families with regard to personal estate planning and prepares appropriate estate planning documents, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, health care directives, community property agreements, and prenuptial agreements.
Janna’s practice includes all aspects of private adoption, including complex situations involving the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA), interstate placements requiring compliance with the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC) and the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), step-parent and second-parent adoptions, third-parent adoptions, contested adoptions, and finalization of international and domestic agency adoptions. Janna also consults with prospective adoptive parents at every stage of the adoption process, represents birthparents who have placed or are considering placing a child for adoption, and advises individuals and couples who are expanding their families through assisted reproductive technologies (ARTS), including egg or sperm donation, surrogacy, and embryo adoption.
Results in any particular case cannot predict the outcome in any other case.
BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS AND LITIGATION
ESTATE PLANNING AND PROBATE
Professional and Community Activities
- American Academy of Adoption Attorneys, Fellow, 2015-present
- Dartmouth Lawyers Association
- King County Bar Association
- Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association (MAMA) of Seattle
- Washington State Bar Association
- Adoptive Friends & Family of Greater Seattle, Board Member, 2010-present
- Dartmouth Alumni Club of Western Washington, President, 2005-2010
- Dartmouth College Alumni Council, Member, 2010-2013
- Dartmouth College Club Officers Executive Committee, 2008-2011; President, 2009-2010; Vice-President, 2008-2009
- Studio East, Board Member, 2011-2013
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Contributor, “Washington Civil Discovery,” LexisNexis Practice Guide, 2013
Author, “Mamma Mia! Everyone Jumps Through Adoption Hoops,” KCBA Bar Bulletin, April 2009
Contributor, Adoptive Families Magazine:
- Hiring Your Adoption Professional. Summer 2013
- Building “Nontraditional” Families. March-April 2012
- Before the Adoption: Connecting with Expectant Mothers. October 2011
- Finally Final. August, 2011.
- Adoption Leave: Your Legal Rights. February 2011
- What is the adoption tax credit? Am I eligible? December 2010
- How do I find my U.S. adoption team? October 2010
- Is open adoption right for my family? April 2010
- How should parents budget for a domestic adoption? August 2010
- How does the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children affect domestic private adoptions? January/February 2010
Presenter, “Adoption Law from Start to Finish: Attorney’s Guide,” NBI CLE, 2010 and 2012
Panelist, “Adoption Discussion,” Northwest Now, KBTC Public Television, 2010
Named to Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2009-2016